Monday 10 November 2014

Launching Windows applications in Parallels from OSX without UAC prompts

TL;DR; 

Use a scheduled task to avoid UAC prompts in Windows; create a shortcut to the scheduled task; use a shell script to tell Parallels to use Windows Explorer to open the shortcut.

Details ... 

As a .Net developer using an OSX machine I'm a big fan of Parallels Desktop. I'm also a big fan of not taking my hands off the keyboard as I find that using a trackpad or mouse gives me some pain in the back of my hand and wrist. One way I help myself with this is by not using the mouse to launch applications. In both Windows and OSX this is relatively straightforward, but in Windows two of the applications I use a lot I really need to use with admin privileges (the console/command line and Visual Studio). The best way I've found to avoid doing extra mouse work (or just extra key presses) is to use a Scheduled Task in Windows and create a shortcut to it. Details of how to do this here: http://www.7tutorials.com/use-task-scheduler-launch-programs-without-uac-prompts

Great, so now I don't have to say "yes, please let me run this application as an administrator" every time I want to use Visual Studio. But I want more. I want a single way of launching applications on Windows and OSX.

Step forward QuickSilver - free and awesome. It used to be the case that I could just double-click on my Windows Shortcut (.lnk) files to launch the applications in OSX, so I kept them in my Quick Silver catalog and just used QuickSilver in the normal way, but recently this stopped working.

Double clicking on the shortcut in Windows still worked, double-clicking or right-clicking and selecting 'Open with' either 'Parallels Link' or 'Windows Explorer' didn't work either.

I never worked out what had changed (Windows? Parallels? Sun spot activity?) but I did find a solution. I now have a bunch of shell-scripts that look like this:
Which means that I can easily launch the applications I use most, without UAC prompts, from OSX.

1 comment:

  1. nice article .good information,Today Telugu news updates provide us the information of breaking news and live updates. we get live news, political, education, technology, etc. Today Telugu news gives the best news updates. It also keeps its readers informed about the latest happenings in the world with instant updates

    ReplyDelete